Toru's TESOL Life

My Reflective Thought on TESOL-related Lecture,Books,and Articles. Also, Useful Information Links. This blog stops posting new articles now. My current blog is as follows. This blog is mainly on thought about my teaching days and private life. http://olympicsmemorial.blogspot.com/

Monday, November 20, 2006

Relationships between TESOL and other field

I attended open hour of TUJ distinguied lecture on Statistics. His lecture was intriguing, but did not explain much about the Rasch model, new approach useful to assess learner's performance. I expected to hear something about Rasch model, or how we applied the insight into teaching and testing phase, but he did not explain about it. It was natural because it is just open hour to stimulate and motivate audience who were not so interested in testing.

Actually i thought it is good to attend after open hour if the lecture is suitable for me, but what he says was too broad. At the same time, what he write on his book is not so directly applicable to language testing. So i gave up staying after open hour, and decided to read some parts of his books by myself.

But i could not keep on my motivation to read throughout the book, because his example is not language education. Thanks to insight of Stats, TESOL field have evolved a lot, stats field itself are really deep and wide! I understood what i shoud aim is not deeping my knowledge itself, but gaining insight about how i incorporate these stats knowlege into my teaching and testing phase.
The famous professro at Kansai area says, we should investigate validity not reliability, as langauge teachers and testers. That is true, i think. I found out my limitation of deepen my insight about reliability during this book, and understand what i should do, examining validity.

But anyway, i found something about the relationships of TESOL and other field, for example, subject of english is related to subject of Japanese about what we should teach and help students learn, and subject of english is related to subject of math about how we should assess students cognitive level. The former is around validity, and the latter is around reliability. Well i know i cannot express what i want to say, but it is okay at least for now.


OK, there are four month left until i restart teaching! I have two things i want to do until then.

1. Preparation for Graduation test, to go over what i learnerd at TUJ, which is useful to increase my number of pockets containing variou methods, approaches, techniques and theories i would use after restart teaching.

2. There are two researches. i want to examine and write. After taking the graduation test, i will focus on writing the two papers based on the researches.

3. I attend one more class about vocabulary. it is useful as teacher and researcher, 'cause lexicon would be a core area from prepheral one for language learning field, i guess.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Measuring second language performance by Tim McNamara can be the choice to start understanding what this lecturer was talking about. Yes, I took his seminar and found it quite useful. But, I agree that it can be boring for teachers.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Measuring second language performance by Tim McNamara can be the choice to start understanding what this lecturer was talking about. Yes, I took his seminar and found it quite useful. But, I agree that it can be boring for teachers. Keita

4:57 PM  
Blogger Tetsuo Marugari said...

Thanks for your comment!MacNamara's book was really inspiring for me. I actually read it after i got interested in Stats because of Dr D's lecture. Not only his explanation about Rasch Analysis but also description about how big names like chomksy and Widdowson, Canale and Swain have considered competence and performance, taught me a lot!

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home